There are three types of computer gamers. Those that never played X-COM, those that loved X-COM, and those that are wrong.
The premise for the original series is that hostile extraterrestrials have begun invading the planet Earth. A clandestine, international military organization, the Extraterrestrial Combat Unit (variably abbreviated X-COM or X-Com through the series) is set up in 1999 to counter the UFOs, capture and research the alien technology, unveil the mystery behind the attacks, and ultimately stop the threat.
Simply put, it's considered by many to be one of the best games of all time and people have been trying to resurrect it for years or at least create a viable spiritual successor.
Hunters HD from Rodeo Games does an astounding job of capturing the feel of the combat from X-COM's glory days. The premise is different, but it still leads to the same sci-fi carnage. Instead of bug-hunters tracking aliens, you lead a team of mercenaries on corporate sponsored missions to secure or destroy various assets.
You can equip your team how you see fit. Choose from types of armor, weapons and different gear like medkits and sensors. Heavier armor will slow your men down, but offer more protection. Then select a mission type from the bridge, pick which of your troops to send in, and go.
Playing this sort of strategy game on the iPad is a fantastic experience. Tap to select a squad member, tap to target, tap again to fire. Zoom and rotate the map with standard touch gestures. It's slick as hell.
The combat can be fairly challenging at times since one tactically unsound move can easily cost you a man or two. Plan ahead, set up cover-fire and don't rambo. It's tough to get through a mission unscathed, but fortunately any deaths are temporary.
As your mercs level up, they will learn new abilities and use better gear. Also, they have cool codenames like "Judge" and "Magpie". You can change those any time, as well as your mercenary unit's name and the color they wear.
I have very few complaints:
- There's an occasional bug that causes the sound effects for weapons to drop out. They already know about it and are planning a fix.
- I wish there was more documentation about what stats do and what all the numbers mean.
- It's annoying when your enemy is wearing the same color armor.
- That's about it. This game is very well polished.
I have several feature requests, though:
- Grenades! (Others have asked for this and apparently it's coming.)
- A minigun. (This game just screams for an "Ol' Painless" equivelant.)
- Some non-human enemies. (So far, all I've fought are other mercenaries and they all basically look the same. Maybe robots or aliens...)
All in all, Hunters HD is probably the best game I've played on the iPad so far.
I forgot to mention: It's a free download on the App Store. You can level your squad members to level 2 without buying the full game. The full game can be obtained via in-app purchase and will set you back $7.99 USD. Completely worth it!